Tuesday 19 March 2013

                                        1 Million Women Purple Walk       


THE women of Pandan parliamentary constituency, along with their men, painted the town purple in conjunction of the 1Million Women Purple Walk 2013.

It saw over 2,000 women and men walking a distance of two kilometres in an event held to empower and recognise the fairer sex's contributions to the nation’s development.

“I understand 22 parliamentary constituencies have been coloured purple and this is an unusual phenomenon that is encouraging as the women, together with the men, are celebrating animportant celebration, the International Women’s Day,” said Pandan MP Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat

said he was always been surrounded by women in his life.

“I am a father of three girls. Since I was married till now, I have been staying in a ladies' hostel. Even before that, when I was growing up with my mum, who is a single mother, I have felt so, too."

Pandan 1 Million Women Purple Walk organising chairman Nosimah Hashim said among the 2,000 participants were 400 men.

Insurance agent Nor Rezan, 52, said he accompanied his wife to recognise women’s role in the country's development